Friday, October 17, 2008

Becoming a Deacon

So what is about to happen to me? And how do I feel about it ? Well, I'm terribly excited as this is the realization of many years of longing to serve Our Lord's Church in Holy Orders. I'm also humbled by the huge responsibility I'll be charged with which is best articulated in two places: St. Paul's first epistle to Timothy...

Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much
wine, not greedy for dishonest gain. They must hold the mystery of the faith
with a clear conscience. And let them also be tested first; then let them serve
as deacons if they prove themselves blameless. Their wives1 likewise must be
dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things. Let deacons
each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own
households well. For those who serve well as deacons gain a good standing for
themselves and also great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus. 1
Timothy 3:8-13

And in the Ordination Rite with which the Bishop will ordain me...

My brother, do you believe that you are truly called by God and his Church to the life and work of a deacon?
Answer I believe I am so called.

Bishop Do you now in the presence of the Church commit yourself to this trust and responsibility?

Answer I do.

Bishop Will you be guided by the pastoral direction and leadership of your bishop?

Answer I will.

Bishop Will you be faithful in prayer, and in the reading and study of the Holy Scriptures?

Answer I will.

Bishop Will you look for Christ in all others, being ready to help and serve those in need?

Answer I will.

Bishop Will you do your best to pattern your life and that of your family in accordance with the teachings of Christ, so that you may be a wholesome example to all people?

Answer I will.

Bishop Will you in all things seek not your glory but the glory of the Lord Christ?

Answer I will.

Bishop May the Lord by his grace uphold you in the service he lays upon you.

Answer Amen.


Please do pray for me, as well as the Missus and the Mancub as we prepare to serve the Lord and His Church in this new commitment. Glory to God for the wonderful privilege!

No comments: