Tuesday, May 1, 2007

St. Thomas...the Tank Engine?

So my son and I are getting ready for bed and he's saying the names of everyone he wants to pray for. He runs through friends and family and then says, "Daddy...pray for Thomas". Since we don't know anyone named Thomas I ask, "Which Thomas is that?" "Thomas da Tank Engine Dad, and pray for Diesel 10 and Sir Topham Hat". Ummm...OK, priest-in-training...can you pray for a...a Tank Engine?! Better think fast Dad. I begin to pray, "Lord Jesus, we thank you for good stories like Thomas the Tank Engine; and we pray that we can learn to obey our Bosses just like Thomas obeys Sir Topham Hat, that Daddy will obey Bp. Ackerman and my Little Man will obey Daddy; and when we're bad like Diesel 10 please help us to obey and to say we're sorry. And Lord, help us to be Really Useful. Amen."
Much of this lingo may be unfamiliar but the goal of every Tank Engine is to hear Sir Topham Hat tell them they are a Really Useful Engine. A lot like Jesus saying "Well done, good and faithful servant."

3 comments:

e said...

Dude! This story absolutely rocks!

Greta asked the other day if we could pray for flowers. I wasn't sure why, so we started to ask that there would be flowers. She stopped us, "No no no, that they would smell to my nose."

Oh, so you want flowers that smell good? "No, smell to my nose."

Oh, so you want to be able to smell the flowers when they come out?

"Daddy...."

I had been scolded for misunderstanding. This must be what it means when it says the Spirit groans in words we can't express.

Amy said...

Hee hee hee! Our daughter does the same thing. Cracked me up up the first day she prayed for Bob from VeggieTales.

Art Middlekauff said...

What a beautiful prayer! Thanks so much for sharing, and providing a great model for us to follow.