Friday, September 21, 2007

Eat Yer Heart Out Burt!


It all started about five years ago on a trip to Maine. I discovered the archetype for all cologne...Burt's Bees Bay Rum. It's natural, it smells good and it's inexpensive. It's my smell. I'm known by it. Complemented for it. Then suddenly Burt stops making it!

No need to worry. I stock pile a few bottles and, ironically, by the time I'm down to the last few drops good ol' Burt puts it back on the market! Yay Burt! But...he jacked up the price and the bottle's are half the size. Grrrr. Bad Burt!

Now I had always presumed Bay Rum cologne was an invention of handsome Burt (pictured left) but not so! It's been around forever in the Caribbean where it originated and there's a dozen or so companies who make it. However while Google-ing it I discover that the purists actually make it themselves.

The recipe? So simple it beautiful...Dark Rum and Bay Leaves then, depending on your preference any combination of
cinnamon, cardamon, cloves, and orange peel. Put it in a mason jar and let it sit in the dark for a month and voila!

So I now have a jar my own special blend, Java Joel's Bay Rum, brewing in the cabinet and on October 21st will put on a few splashes to restore balance to my universe. So look out Burt, there's a new Sheriff in town...and he smells better than you!

No comments: