Monday, May 7, 2007

St. Augustine of...Arrrggh!!!


So one of the assigned text-books for my Ascetical Theology class is the Confessions of St. Augustine. I'm a quarter of the way into this and have put it down three times already. I just cannot get into it. I believe St. Augustine had a foreknowledge of this being assigned reading for me in seminary and therefore made it the most verbose, dense, dry piece of literature possible. I Wikipedia-'ed it and it says it's the first Western Autobiography...blah, blah, blah. I love the Fathers of the Church, very much so, but if Purgatory were a real place I'm confident this would be the assigned reading (along with all of the appliance and children's toy assembly manuals I've never read).
So I'm going to get through this by force of will with the help of Blessed Johnny Cash. Now there's a saint who could write! Phew! I hear that train a comin'...it's rollin' round the bend...

No comments: