Friday, April 27, 2007

...in the Belfry...in Greek Class

So I'm in Greek class today and walk over to get a tea bag for my tea. I take the tea bag and turn to walk back to my seat when I feel something funny on my hand. I look down and see something but simultaneously am not sure what, yell "Eeeeyach!" and fling said thing off my hand. Thud! A bat with about a 6 inch wing span is spread out and dazed on the desk going "Eeeek! Eeeek! Eeek!" And is staring a picture of John Paul II holding a monstrance with the Blessed Sacrament in it. The bat wasn't moving at all so we joking presumed it was venerating the Blessed Sacrament.

We called the CDC and had to deliver the bat to the Humane Society to be euthanized and tested for rabies. If it's positive or inconclusive the CDC suggested I go through the rabies treatment-shots. I wasn't bitten but they said you can never be too safe since untreated rabies will kill you.


So I got that goin' for me...which is nice! Ugh!

3 comments:

JeffersonFirstMD said...

You got attacked by a bat?
Dude

Unknown said...

Good thing you don't have to have rabies shots in the stomach anymore. I hope you don't have to have *any* ... rabies is scary.

.m.

John Fawcett said...

Hey, Joel,

Charlotte has been fascinated with a DVD on bats from the library here at Wheaton. Most of the DVD is devoted to showing people how few bats are actually carnivorous, and how few can ever bite us. Plus, they're essential to maintaining the environment (the voluminous consumption of insects and the poop that ends up fertilizing the soil!)

So, this bat may be a blessing in disguise.....