Thursday, September 18, 2008

Books I've Been Reading Lately

In light of my last post, I've spent exponentially more time reading. Here's what I've been reading...
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
A gift from my buddy Jeff in Omaha. Hilarious, superby written humour with the perfect quirky character.
Making Room for Life: Trading Chaotic Lifestyles for Connected Relationships by Randy Frazee
I heard this author talking about "Hebrew Day Planner" and was intrigued. He champions the Convivium; or nightly family dinner with conversation, maybe some spiritual devotions, maybe just a boardgame...but having the Table be the center of the day, the home and the family. Good stuff.
Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God by Voddie T. Baucham Jr.
I saw him with my father and brothers-in-law at a men's conference. Τhe theme is how to create a family with multi-generational faithfulness to Jesus. Inspiring reading.
the Journals of Father Alexander Schmemann by Alexander and Julianna Schmemann
Ahhh...Schmemann. Like a cold drink of sweet tea after spending the day in the dry, hot sun. He understands what life in Christ and the Church should be. Truly an inspirattion to read. Themes are life, light, joy and beauty in Christ in the mundane things of the world.
Suprised by Hope and For All the Saints by N.T. Wright
Fantastic! Both are about what a proper, biblical understanding of "life after death" is (and how most of the culture, including Christians, has it wrong) and how having a proper understanding of this reorients our lives.

1 comment:

stephseef said...

Hey Deacon Joel - 'For All the Saints' has been my #1 fave book about worship since I read it 10 years ago in my former life - it was part of my Canterbury trail experience, for sure. Love seeing it mentioned here!