Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Visit to St. Vladimir's Seminary


Greetings all from St. Vladimir's Orthodox Seminary just outside New York City. So as you can see I've been in communicato for some time now. The end of the semester workload was intense but I am now officially a Senior!
This past weekend we celebrated the life of our dear friend and brother-in-Christ John Fawcett who went to be with the Lord after a long battle with cancer. His funeral was actually one of the most glorious worship experiences I've had and certainly a fitting celebration of John. Please do pray for his wife Margie and two young children Charlotte and Josiah.
So as I said, I have the joy of coming to St. Vlad's for a conference hosted by the Fellowship of St. Alban & St. Sergius. It's a treat to be here with three of my comrades from Nashotah House, along with two of our faculty and my Bishop, who is one of the keynote speakers (I've never been to New York City so it was fun to go to a neighborhood grocery deli for a pastrami Rueben too). Tomorrow is the Feast of the Ascension for the Orthodox Church and so tonight we attended the Ascension Vigil. Two candlelit hours filled with incense, beautiful harmonious singing; psalms and intercessions and being anointed by His Eminence Kallistos Ware in the spiritual home of one of my favorite authors and theologians, Fr. Alexander Schmemann. St. Vlad's Press is also the publisher of some of the Mancub and me's favorite books, which include the most incredible illustrations by an artist named Niko Chochelli, I highly recommend you get some for the children in your life.
I'll try to post more while I'm here. In the meantime I pray you all are enjoying a blessed summer.

No comments: